Mopar vs. Hypertech vs. JET.....

From: Sean_Meldrum@ittauto.com
Date: Thu May 28 1998 - 10:22:35 EDT

<snip>
>My two cents: I have heard some very bad things about the
.stuff that comes from Jet. I wouldn't buy a Jet module for
>my truck even if they promised to add fifty horse for
>$29.95.
<snip>
>I've seen what the Hypertech GM chips can do for Camaros.
>I've talked with the Hypertech guys at the annual Camaro
>rally in Memphis. Hypertech is an honest performance shop.
>I'll gladly send Ben Franklin, two of his brothers, and Mr. Grant
>to Memphis before I send one penny to JET.
>This is only *my* opinion. - Scott

<snip>

     Just to defend the JET module (and maybe justify it in my head a
little 8^) ) Scott and I talked quite awhile back about JET and what he had
heard. I thought long and hard b4 buyin' this Stage II Power Module.
Here's what I based the decisions on:

1) Mopar is movin' like molasses on the MP JTEC. This is what I really
wanted but I was gettin' ansty. After talkin' with Jon after his OBDII MP
install I think my JET feels like it's providing similar gains.

2) One DML member, another Dak owner a mile up the road from me, and the
recent Magnum V6 article in Mopar Muscle had nothing but good things to say
about the modules. Just to show I'm not bieased there's a truck posted on
my Dragtruk page that the owner claims no et gains with his Stage II.

3) Last time I called Hypertech (maybe 3 months ago) the person I talked to
said they had nothing for the new Dodge's and weren't plannin' anything.
Someone has their head up their ass over there. I might have held out if I
knew that they're offering would have the programmability of the GM units.

4) I was researching computer modules for my neighbor's '98 Z71. He
doesn't wanna do to much to his truck but thought the ease of a computer
upgrade would be doable. When I mentioned that the JET system for his
truck recommended a thermostat change he decided against it. Even tho the
article showed hp gains.

5) Another article showcasing dyno numbers on a Hypertech on a new C/K
truck showed that it actually *hurt* performance at many points. Where it
*did* help it was (I believe) less than 5hp.

All these plug-in modules are basically a bunch of voltage modifiying
circuits that fool the computer into processing data differently. It's a
crap shoot really. Just do your research. Decide how much cost plays into
things, and then make your choice.

I hope to have timeslips for folks on the JET soon.

Just *my* opinion. And Scott....you should tell everyone that story about
the one JET chip Hypertech opened......and what they found. That one is
what really made me think. I'll let Scott tell it....it's a doozy!

****** 97 RPM Dakota - 14.98 @ 91.76 ******

sean meldrum
Email @ Home: spm@c3net.net
Email @ Work: sean_meldrum@ittauto.com