Re: 5 sps & Autos (was Digest V3 #834)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu May 28 1998 - 23:53:38 EDT

At 10:27 PM 5/28/98 -0400, you wrote:

><< It helps but there are still a lot of things you need that a auto can't
>help,
> like a good reaction time. Me I can probably get the worst light of any one
> out there and at the same time be the red light champion of the year. Now
> there hain't no tranny that will cure that is there ?
>
> <<Try being
> consistent with a 5 speed! WEE HEE! >>
>
> Now Jon has been doing a pretty good job there but I still don't think that
> he's not missed a shift or two ?

  Heh heh heh! Yep; I've been known to miss every now and again. :-)
When I do, its usually 3rd. Heck, I did it against Bill yesterday. I
was keepin' up (sort of) when I missed third as his Dak started to do
its usual "walk away from Jon at the top end of the track" procedure.
  Oops! Bye-bye Bill! :-) Bill and I were talkin' about this yesterday;
it would be cool to have a 5th gear lockout so I could just put the
stick over to the right and push it up, no worrying about trying to stick
it in the right place...

> Bill >>
>Missing a shift once in a while happens, especially in the upper R range, but
>the more you do it the better you get. I just enjoy the stick, more control
>ya know! Besides, arent some of you auto guys manually shiftin!! I seem to
>recall someone saying they do it. Its all a matter of preference.
>Eric K

  Yep, some of those auto guys even miss a shift every now and then. ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.