Re: Throttle body mods - RPM? MPI?

From: jules (jghunter@nol.net)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 01:59:53 EDT

Sean_Meldrum@ittauto.com wrote:

> Ok..we're gonna do *this* again?

"sensitive... sensitive..." :)

Jules...I got nothin' against you or
> your products.

i know...

 Fact is, on a percentage basis, most that I've heard from
> that have purchased MPI throttle bodies have been *more* than satisified.

it IS a nice piece...! [bows]

> *But* to say the MPI econ throttle body is "miles ahead of a sears
> do-it-ur-self-drummel-job" is really pretty impetuous on your part.

not when you advocate .5m metal removal-.75mm +/-... that barely covers
the green sand depth marks... when i do it it is a maximum effort and I
spread chips all over the shop floor...then get the broom....

  You've
> never seen my work,

no, but i read your description and based upon my experience and the
many dml derogs about me... i'd say that my opinions are professionally
qualified and perhaps many of dml's are emmotional...

or anybody else's,

ohh....yes i have! :)

that's been happy with their
> results. Mine may not be "Professional" pretty

pretty isn't the issue it is the gain for the effort...but for the
do-itur-selfer in gneral i think you are offering a good tech base...as
it is safe and conservative.

but it gets the job done

so does self-enjoyment and sex... but most prefer the latter....:)

> and (assuming I could afford the down time on the truck) I'd flowbench it
> against anything else out there any day.

trust me... if against mine... you'd loose....

 My home job (and I haven't even
> *begun* to get into the thing yet) is I'm sure partly responsible for the
> truck runnin' as well as I feel it has. 14.9s (2.2 60')

many of my customers see 1.92 +/- 60's...

in a '97 with
> little more than a muffler and air cleaner ain't so bad.

probably true

> I wouldn't count the cost of the dremel against the mod since most that do
> this mod at home already have the tool and it sure in the hell does a lot
> more than port throttle bodies.

for the do it urselfer its OK... but out of over 1000 tbis... i have
done only maybe 5 +/- econ tbis and they are homeruns...

So...you've got the cost of a sanding drum
> kit involved (under $20) and a couple hours of time (including the r&r) vs.

wrong... homey... i got a $20K machine shop op dedicated to tbis...

> a couple months wait.

i hate it too :( but we got dave back with us (again) and he is 98% as
good as me...

 Plus...the money I *didn't* spend on a
> "professional" throttle body will buy addtional speed parts. For
> example....for the cost of the econ model I got my exhuast, the FABM10, the
> plug wires, and coil.

it is personal decisions... simply personal decisions...

> >i like your page as i support any do-it-ur-self hot rodding efforts. I
> >got here by being a "do-ur-selfer hot rodder..." cutting corners at
> >every oppportunity in my earlier days.
>
> Thanks Jules....that actually means quite a bit coming from you
> particulary because this is your business. I just feel that you should
> think twice before knocking the work of others without ever seeing it.

you may want to reread my post ... i didn't knock it, i simply stated a
fact that is the result of my experiece...

 You
> may get some seriously messed up lookin' tb's sent in to ya

maybe not seriously messed up... but certainly needing a kiss here and
there

 but that
> doesn't mean all of us are out here grindin' on these things wearin'
> mittens and blindfolds.

your words... not mine :)

> If you want a piece of the do-it-yerself market (more power to ya
> man...business is business) I think the home-kit is a great idea. The
> necessary dremel bits and some detailed instructions would probably sell
> extremely well.

probably not IMO as you offer the tech free on the net and sears sells
the tools cheap... but they are lite duty at best for a serious job...

> And to those that have purchased MPI tb's...in NO WAY am I coming down on
> goin' that route. It takes quite a bit of nerve (and a certain amount of
> "thriftiness"..is that spelled c-h-e-a-p ? 8^) ) to yank the throttle body
> and start grindin' on it.

nobody said cheap and no nerves... hot rodding is making things better
and many do it themselves in every way possible... its the racers creed

> >my harley runs a full-on MPI custom brass mystery shaft in it's S&S carb
> >(75hp+ hawg, stock 45) as does our family sedan... and of course,... "i
> >did it myself!"
> >j/mpi
>
> Now *that's* pretty cool.

[bows and BLUSHES!] ;)

> It's> extremely important that the people/companies you deal with in your search
> for more horsepower not only provid you quality products and a resonable
> price, but also make you feel comfortable in those purchases.

it is a personal issue. I get over $2500 for a pair of ported cyl
heads... exchange. but the guy who does them for me builds $20K
ProStock racing heads. is $20K unreasonable for a set of heads... when
most anywhere in USA a performance machine shop will offer you a set for
$500-700? not hardly... he can barley keep up with his demand and
sometimes i have to wait...my customers are ALWAYS pleased and impressed
when they get their heads...

 you are guaranteed to have a good time at this.

we wish... but not always true

> off my soapbox now...sorry fellas.

free speech and all that...

jules/mpi