RE: 180 Installed -Reply

From: Stephan Boianoff (sboianoff@mdc.com)
Date: Mon Jun 01 1998 - 10:49:28 EDT

     Installing the 180 was pretty easy but messy... I had radiator
     coolant all over the place. I have a '98 V8 and I was able to swap it
     out without removing anything except the stat housing/return hose
     where it attaches to the block. The longest part of the project was
     scraping the old gasket material off! You need a long screwdriver
and
     a vacuum cleaner with a long nozzle attachment. On the '98 you can
     reach the radiator drain plug from above. It's on the drivers side of
     the vehicle and it has a small drain tube that you need to unplug...
     You can't see it, but it was reachable for me and that way I didn't
     need to take off any of the protective stuff that's connected to the
     air dam. Make sure you have two buckets though... I only had one
and
     it's the reason things got a bit messy.

It sounds like you just removed the two bolts, pulled the thermo housing
up (with the upper hose still attached), cleaned the surfaces, and
replaced the thermo & gasket. Why did you need to drain the radiator? I
would think you could just top it off (however much you lost when you
pulled the upper hose off) and be done. Very curious.

Steve