Re: More ramblings

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 01 1998 - 19:06:47 EDT

<< You mentioned this a few weeks ago and got me curious. Since I try not to
 look at ferds very often, I' m ignorant on this arrangement. How does it
 work; what's it look like and how is it done? Are you saying this is a
 DIY project or do I have to find a shop that knows how to do it?

Rich, easy as pie!! ( whatever that really means! ) I took the longest spring
off a Ram
then took my bottom leaf ( the only one that is actually seperate ) off and
replaced it with the Ram. Now what you have to do with that Ram spring first!
Measure it out to find where the spring, while in position, will line up with
the REAR of the axle and scribe a line. This is where you want to cut it off!
The pin hole in the spring is an exact fit for location of the spring on the
axle. Just a little FYI there. Once you have that back half cut off the
hardest part is done. Now take the rubber snubbers off of a Ram and drill a
hole for the bolt on those rubber snubbers to go through on your shortened
spring. you want the snubber to be as close to the end as possible. Once the
snubber is on the leaf spring use new U-bolts and bolt your new leaf
spring/traction bar on! If you didnt follow that just check out a Lightening
and then you'll understand completely! Now for something you should know
first, and I might get ridden for this from some of you guys!! The spring
will not reach as far forward as you might want and this WILL cause your Leafs
to bend thewrong way, and eventually this will shorten your box height. I
dont mind personally, it actually leveld out my truck!! The ass end was high
anyway!!
Eric K