Driveshaft (via digest)

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Mon Jun 01 1998 - 20:04:51 EDT

> Uh oh... Talk to me Sean! I've got a CC that I'm planning on pumping
>some fairly decent HP through. Maybe not as much as you, but I figure if
>I ever get to the point where I decide I'm "done" (which might never
happen) ;-)
>I might have 450-500HP, with maybe 600-650 when the nitrous is flowing.
> What's the deal with my driveshaft?

        You got a two piece driveshaft. I know what yer plannin' based on what
we've talked about and I never thought to bring this up. Once you start
gettin' into some serious power yer gonna wanna look at upgradin' the
drivetrain. At the minimum you'll want some real good quality, heavy duty
u-joints. The R/T driveshaft would be cool....especially if it really is
aluminum. I'm not totally up on driveshaft tech so once we get to that
power level we'll both need to start talkin' to custom driveshaft shops.
Ever hear what happens when a driveshaft twists apart and comes thru the
floor? Not pretty.

> And speaking of driveshafts... What if that kind of power really is too
>much? Could the stonger driveshaft from a '98 R/T CC be used, or are
>they too different? What options do I have, other than buying a new
>driveshaft every week? And, what other parts are subsceptible to wear in
>high-HP situations? rearend? tranny? clutch? Are there beefier
alternatives
>for those?

        Axles and rearend. This is all comes down to that weak link we were
talkin' about. Stay away from slicks and you'll have no problems really.
Soon as you start runnin' sticky tires and serious hp you'll start breakin'
driveline parts if they're not upgraded. Send a mail to the guy on my
Dragtruck page that's runnin' juice on his '97 and ask him what he's broke.
 8^) You got nothin' to worry about for quite awhile dude. Just keep
addin' that hp for now. 8^)

*************1997 RPM Dakota --- 14.98 @ 91.76***********
 sean meldrum
email: Home: spm@c3net.net