Re: Electric fans (2.5L fan behavior - read this!)

From: svieth@ameritech.net
Date: Tue Jun 02 1998 - 16:23:30 EDT

> From: Rekker21@aol.com
> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 20:58:05 EDT
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: Re: DML: Electric fans on your Dak (2.5L to the rescue!)

> << Warning, the factory fan sensors turn the fan on at 210 deg or higher.
> some as high as 240 deg and we want our daks to run about 180.
> >>
> thanks for the warning Jim

Ok, here's the scoop from the 1997 Dakota Service Manual:
"Cooling System Fan--2.5l Engine
    Models equipped with 2.5L engines have an electrical cooling
fan. The fan is electrically controlled by the powertrain control
module (PCM) through the fan control relay. This relay is located in
the power distribution center (PDC). For the location of the relay
within the PDC, refer to the label on the PDC cover.

  The PCM regulates fan operation based on input from the engine
coolant temperature sensor and vehicle speed.

  The fan is not energized during engine cranking regardless of the
electrical input from the the engine coolant temperature sensor.
However, if engine operating conditions warrant fan engagement, the
fan will run once engine starts.

  The fan is energized whenever the engine is running and the air
conditioning compressor clutch is engaged.

  When the air conditioning compressor clutch is disengaged, the fan
operates at vehicle speeds above 40 mph. This is done if engine
coolant temperature is above 110C (230F). The same is true for
vehicles that are not equipped with air conditioning. The fan will
turn off when coolant temperature drops to 104C (220F). At speeds
below 40 mph, the fan turns on when coolant temperature reaches 99C
(210F) and turns off when coolant temperature drops to 93C (200F)."

And so ends today's sermon.

-Scott

"No, Homer, very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a
terrible strain on the illustrator's wrist."