Re: Wheel bearing questions

From: Scott May (scott@digital-marketplace.net)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 10:21:02 EDT

Bret,

    Wheel bearings tend to growl. The sound usually increases
in intensity with speed and is constant. You said you were
turning which is often the sign of a failing CV joint. Check the
boots to see if they have cracked. You can crank the wheel all the
way to the left drive in a circle like you are making a hard turn.
Do the same in the other direction. If you hear a sound that
resembles clicking then you have a CV joint problem.

    I had a GM product in my youthful days that ate CV joints for
breakfast. Then I wised up and started driving Dodges!

    On the tire wear, I had wear on my '93 2WD. Had it aligned and
it was actually worse. Put new shocks on it and solved the problem.
My tires were cupping on the outer inch or so of the tire. It
looked like tow-in/out problem. I have never heard of a CV or bearing
problem that effected tire wear, but there is always a first time.

In my opinion factory shocks should be replaced when the original
set of tires are changed (about 30K mi.).

Scott May
Somewhere in the Catskills.