Re: reason for cold fan roar

From: Scott May (scott@digital-marketplace.net)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 12:21:07 EDT

Mine always roars on cold startup until I reach about 2,000 RPM for a
couple
seconds. Then the clutch starts working. I never hear it again until
the
next cold start up. I've never paid that much attention on a warm
restart,
but I think it does the same thing.

It functions exactly the same as the one on my '93 V6 did. Just my
experience,
but it makes sense to me that if I started the truck cold and let idle
for an
extened period, that the clutch would not reach temperature as quickly
as it
should. This might result in an overheated condition. I personally
would be
concerned that it is not operating correctly, if it didn't operate this
way.

I also have the factory tow package which includes the HD service group
(including max. cooling) and may operate differently than those without
this package. Maybe the clutch is activated by a certain amount
of centripetal force?

Just my observation and opinion.

Scott May
'98 Sport+ CC 4X4 5.2L 5sp 4WABS 3.55SG Towing