Re: Just Joined

From: RLewis7785@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 09:00:29 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/98 5:35:57 PM Central Daylight Time, DodgeBoyz3@aol.com
writes:

<< I run straight pipes on my 95 SLT, 5.2L 4x2,,,,,,,Sounds great, not too
loud
 either. I still have the single cat. >>

I've heard Gene's truck. It sounds really good and mean. We ran it next to
mine with a Dynomax Super Turbo Dual Outlet, and there isn't much difference
in volume, only a little less muffled tone (imagine that!). I was actually
surprised at how quiet the straight pipes are.

About the torque loss, I understand (I think) that the torque is lost at low
RPM (not low vehicle speed) due to excess scavenging of intake gasses through
the exhaust valves because of reduced back pressure. I can't speak for
everyone, but with an Auto, you never run at low RPM due to torque converter
slip, so I dont see how this is an issue, especially if I gain it back
elsewhere in the rev band.

Richard Lewis
92 LE CC, 318, Auto.