Re: how-to trans cooler?? Attn: Mike

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 19:03:51 EDT

Mike,

I run a Hayden 12,000# Cooler on my A500. I had it installed when I
had the transmission rebuilt, but I don't think its very difficult.

The cooler itself mounts with three plastic plugs that go between the
fins on the cooler and AC condenser. On mine, I do not use the
Radiator to cool the trans so the inlet and outlet holes are plugged.
You can cut the trans cooler line before the radiator and then re-route
to the new cooler. Use high quality rubber lines made for this purpose
and screw clamps. They are routed under the Radiator and up to the
cooler in back of the grill. Make sure the new hoses do not chaffe or
bind on anything. I had to cushion them in a couple of spots.

The hydraulic pump in the trans moves the fluid. My pump is not stock
and runs considerably higher pressure. But I have run the Hayden before
on transmissions with stock pumps with no problems at all.

Don't know why you would need to disassemble the trans.

Maybe somebody else on the DML can assist you with a more
technical explaination.

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan