Re: Port & Polish (Attn: Steve)

From: Mike Catlin (Catlin@erols.com)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 23:37:42 EDT

>Stephan Boianoff wrote:

> Hey Mike, I'm getting ready to (in about a week) start in on my throttle
> body. My basic plan is to duplicate the work you did. I was wondering if
> you had any good tips (or any points of interest) that you came across
> as you did yours. If you could make up a specific procedure (including
> tools and bits that you used), it may make it a little less "scary". Thanks.
>
> Steve
> '98 CC 5.2L 5-speed
>
> BTW, did you notice a big improvement in lower rpm torque, or is it mainly
> a WOT gain? How was your fuel economy affected? I ask because
> mine is a daily driver and I also use it for towing on the weekends.
> Thanks.

Steve,
   I'll put what I did on my web page sometime this week.
As far as torque goes it actually feels like I may have
lost some low end torque and gained some top end HP.
I went to the track tonight and did one run and it was
a little under 1 tenth quicker than the fastest runs from
about 4 weeks ago. Fuel economy is the same. In all
honesty Steve if you use yours for towing you may want to
hold off. I'm not sure why it feels like I lost some low
end. It may be because I have switched from my ram air
setup to an open element drawing hot engine air i'm just
not sure yet. This weekend I will try to re-install my
ram air to work with my open air element. I'll post how
it turns out and if there's any difference.

Mike Catlin