Re: Wed nite drags 6-3

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 06 1998 - 00:14:44 EDT

At 06:05 AM 6/4/98 +0000, you wrote:
>WAY TO GO, JON!! :^)

  Thanks, Scott! :-)

>You may want to post some of your tips for the guys who
>have never been to the strip.

  Well, to be honest with you, a lot of it has to do with luck,
I think. :-) I only dial in to the nearest tenth, actually, so
its not like I'm super accurate with the dial-in or anything...
  I just dial in a bit faster than I think I'm going to run
based on previous runs, temperature, humidity, etc... (I try to
make the dial-in accurate to about a tenth, but I'm nowhere near
consistent enough or good enough to judge the weather and the track
to get much more accurate than that though). I try to cut a good light
and get to the finish line first but making sure to not get *too* far out
front, just in case I'm breaking out...
   When I stage, I usually stop as soon as the second stage bulb
is lit; no deep stage or anything, since I've got a 5-speed so I don't
want to risk rolling out of the beam and redlighting. Even with the
shallow stage, I still stand on the brakes as long as possible; sometimes
until the first yellow comes on. I actually have no idea what rpm I launch
at; I launch and shift pretty much by sound and feel. (Especially the launch;
no way can I concentrate on the tree and the tach at the same time...) :-)

   One thing that I found helped a lot was spinning the tires just
a little bit to get any water, stones, dirt, etc. off of 'em before
the run. Not a burnout (I drive around the water pit) but a quick spin
to clean 'em up. One thing that I've noticed which makes a huge difference
(if you're going for a fast E/T) is letting the truck cool down. During
bracket racing though, I prefer to keep the truck a little warm, since it
seems to make it more consistent. I'm still careful to keep it cool, but
nowhere near as cool as when I'm trying to set a new personal record. :-)
  (Which I managed to do this time, thanks to the Pontiac delay and the chilly
weather. I'm now down to 15.29@88.5)

>-Scott
>
>p.s. Let the Ferds win once in a while or they won't bother to come
>back to the track. Ha ha ha!!!
>
>> Jon Steiger Ferd killer and current trophy champ. He's goin to need a bigger
>> shelve to hold em all. Final round he run a 15.41 on a 15.40 to kill the Ferd.
>> The Dakota's did good again cleaning up the first round but when they got
>> running Dakotas agaist Dakotas somebody had to lose. Me, Jon did it to me

  Yep, it was pretty neat, actually! A whole bunch of trucks; I think there were
4 Dakotas, a ram or two, a few chebbies and ferds before the first round. Then,
everybody came back, and it was all dakotas, with a ferd and a chebby scattered
in the mix. Its pretty neat how the dakotas consistently do well! I don't
think any of the Dak's lost the first round. In the semifinals, there were three
of us; two daks and a ferd. The ford got the by, so that got rid of the other
dak, but its amazing how often dakotas finish in the top 3!

>> again in the second round but I don't feel that bad cause I broke out by .014.
>> Dialed a 15.0 and ran a 14.986. It was a pretty cool night and pretty good
>> running. Things got late though when a guy lost a Pontiac on the start and
>> came accross the track and rolled it down the guard rails. Destroyed the car
>> but the driver was OK. Took quite a while to clean things up. Jon's doing real
>> well and making us Dakota owners and racers proud of him, heck if it hadn't
>> been for him that Dang Ferd might of won. Good Job Jon !!!

   Thanks, Bill! Can't have those ferds taking home our trophies!!! :-)
(It was nice of Larry to let me win one again, don't you think?) ;-) Maybe
he's slipping. I can only hope... :-)

                                       -Jon-

  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.29@88.58), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |