Re: Re: Ram Air-vs-Open Air (catlin)

From: svieth@ameritech.net
Date: Sun Jun 07 1998 - 18:16:41 EDT

> the air cleaner & ram air measurements were taken in the
> wind stream just above the throttle body bores. As you
> can see the ram air was 21 degrees cooler. This doesn't
> take in consideration volume so you can see why I'm curious
> to get back to the track to see which one is better.
> When I finally finished up I re-hung the wife's thermometer
> and she none the wiser although weatherman said lows tonight
> about 60 and her outdoor reading is calling for frost :~0.
>
> Mike Catlin

You must be reading my mind. I was thinking of doing the exact
same thing but I couldn't think of a way to secure the temperature
probe inside the air cleaner so that it wouldn't accidently get
sucked into the engine.

The difference in temp really doesn't surprise me. Did you do any
high-speed highway driving or was it mostly in town?

Which "ram air" setup were you using for your test?
Does this mean you are going to ditch your
Mopar Performance air cleaner?

-Scott