Re: Cup holders and five-speeds

From: roger a. Sampson (rsampson@ddc.net)
Date: Mon Jun 08 1998 - 22:28:10 EDT

svieth@ameritech.net wrote:

> > Same here... '98 5spd with console. Three holders, two smaller ones close
> > to the shifter, one larger (slightly elevated) behind those two.
> > The small ones hold a large McD. coke (albeit tightly!), without crushing.
>
> ARGGGHGGHH!
> You're telling me they redesigned the cupholders for 1998?
> Man, I want my money back!!!
> Mother Mopar knew that she screwed-up with the drinkholders
> on the '97s so she fixed them on the '98s.
>
> This sucks. I'm starting to feel like a '96 owner....
>
> > I _do_ find that the passenger's hand, when busy adjusting volume/station/
> > balance/etc., gets in the way of 1st/3rd/5th shifts. Since it's soft flesh,
> > though, instead of rigid beverage containers, you just have to get behind
> > the shift a bit more, and it'll work out OK. =) After the second or third
> > time getting their hand crunched by an authoritative shift, they learn to
> > move it outta the way!
>
> ...and move it to your lap (the hand). ;^) ;^) ;^)
>
> > cheers,
> > mike
>
> -Scott '97, 5-spd
> lots o' crushed and spilled drinks
>
> "No, Homer, very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a
> terrible strain on the illustrator's wrist."
I never thought I would see the day that I would be discussing the finer
points of cup holders but I must concur with the dialogue. Must be a
pretty good truck if this is all I can find wrong! I have an early '97,
V8, 5spd., 40/20/20 bench seat. The cup holders are really just a well
in the shift consle. I did peek in a locked '98 to see if they had
corected this problem, and although I didn't actually see them it
appeared there may be actual pull out cup holders in the basse of the
shift console! I keep meaning to stop by my local dealer and take a
closer look, and determine if the '98 console will fit. I can not
imagine that it would not since little has changed on the vehicle. My
test will be to examine and then apply best judgement and buy it. I
think if I would ask, and they said it wouldn't fit, I can almost be
assured it would, and the converse! That is my experience with dealers
and parts support! Since I have been around, raced, and owned MOPARS
since the hemi days, I need to really work up my nerve to admit to doing
a cup holder conversion!