RE: another offset question

From: Walter Felix (Walter_Felix@classic.msn.com)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 18:02:03 EDT

If you decrease the offset, the tires will stick out further and will change
the clearance of the tire in relation to the fender.

With a neutral offset, the tire will basically pivot on itself when turning
the steering wheel, meaning it doesn't have any lateral movement within the
wheel well.

With a negative offset, the pivot point is the same place and the tire is
further out of the wheel well. If you cut the steering wheel to the right,
the right tire will swing back in the wheel well and the left will swing
forward because the pivot point is to the inside of the center of the rim.
The more you increase the offset, the more lateral movement within the wheel
well.

That is why I can have 31" tires on offset rims and rub slightly on the fender
when turning, yet have the same 31" tires on stock rims and not rub. The tire
is the same height, it's the offset that makes the difference.

Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
88' Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9219