Re: Re: Re: 360 into Dakota swap attn. woodgate

From: woodgate (woodgate@sprynet.com)
Date: Wed Jun 10 1998 - 02:52:27 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
To: 'dakota-truck@buffnet.net' <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Tuesday, June 09, 1998 10:04 PM
Subject: RE: DML: Re: Re: 360 into Dakota swap attn. woodgate

The 3.9 v6 is nothing more than a cut down 318. The trans will bolt on, but
it may not last. All the 3.9's I have seen have an A904 Trans which is not
as durable as the A518 (R46H) which is used in the Dakota

Tom

I would really prefer using the already beefed up A727 I have in the
ramcharger. In adition to HD bands It has extra clutches in its drums made
of HD material far better than stock. By selecting the right thickness
retaining rings and thrust washers it is assembled to the tightest
recomended tolerences. . The kickdown servo is a Mopar Perf part and there
is a nice shift kit in it. It's kickdown, shift points, quick shifts and
firmness are right there. It would chirp the tires on 1-2 shifts in the
ramcharger at just about anywhere between 3/4 or so and wide open throttle.
This beefed up trans is more durable than any factory auto. The only concern
I have is if I can get it to mate with the NP207 Tcase that is in the
Dakota. The Ramcharger has an NP208. The trans output (to t-case) shaft and
adapter (to t-case) on this is way to long for the Dakota. Not to mention
that the front shaft attaches to the wrong side of the T-Case. The bolt
pattern on the Tcase adapter is the same on both trucks. So the only
remaining question is if the output shaft from the Dakota's A904 can be put
in the A727. Having a different shaft may require puting a different
thickness thrust washer between the Input and output shaft but this is
easily done. I still have the other thicknesses of washers from my rebuild
kit. The A727 is an easy auto to work on. I'll have to find a trans tech who
is experienced with mopar autos and ask him if it will fit. I went to the
local parts store and they had no listing for motor mounts from a shelby
dakota. May be a dealer part. Is the radiator in the shelby or any of you
trucks with the V8's aluminum?