Re: V8 Oil capacity

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Thu Jun 11 1998 - 14:13:22 EDT

Well... it seems that the responses from the DML are mixed.

Some folks put 5qts in and leave the level sitting half way between
"full" and "add".

Other folks put in the 5qts and then add enough (.3 to .5 qts) to bring
the level up to or near the "full" mark.

Does anyone see any real downside to filling to the full mark (other
than the extra hassle of adding 1/2qt)? I can't believe that filling the
crankcase to the "full" mark would add enough excess oil to cause
foaming and seal leakage problems. That would make it an "overfull"
mark, right? ;)

Having an extra 1/2 qt oil capacity seems like a good thing to me -
extra dirt suspension capacity, extra cooling capcity, etc. Ya, I know,
it's only an extra 1/2 qt.

I realize that this is not a big deal (I'm certainly not losing sleep
over it...). I just wondered if anyone else who'd been changing their
own oil for years found this to be a little odd, and what conclusions
had been drawn.

jeff
98 rc v8 3.55sg flares fipk