Re: COOLING

From: woodgate (woodgate@sprynet.com)
Date: Fri Jun 12 1998 - 22:42:53 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: George Dorn <gdorn@newlywedsfoods.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Friday, June 12, 1998 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: DML: COOLING

>W. Jack Hilton III wrote:
>>
>> This is my first V8 Dak (my earlier one was a 2.5) and I was just wanting
>> to know why they didn't go with an electric fan instead of the HP robbing
>> conventional fan ? My 2.5 4-Banger had one , but the new R/T of mine has
>> belt driven clutch fan . Should I switch to electric ?
>>
>> Jack Hilton
>>
>> '98 CC R/T "Black Death"
>Sorry bout that Jack but only The Shelby Daks are allowed to have
>electric fans.We could tell u about them but we'de have to kill
>you then,have a nice day.<g>
>geo.
>'89 Shelby Dakota #288

A Shelby Dakota has an electric because there is not enough clearance
between a V8 and the radiator as the header panel (core support) is
different
on the earlier trucks. The newer trucks have room for a belt driven fan.
Due to the limited output of the 4cyl engines they went with an electric on
them.
The 4cyl needs a smaller electric fan than a V8 would as well. A V8 would
require
two large fans or one very high CFM rating fan (expensive). It was cheaper
on the
V8s to use the regular since the fans and everything else are the same as
the full size.
The 4cyl fan was most likely the same as a 4cyl car, The shelby's fan was
put in with
the motor by shelby not dodge.