Re: Performance concerns

From: David Thede (tnadoman@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 14 1998 - 00:18:18 EDT

Performance will increase through the next 1000 miles or so. Did you
have the dealer install the headers or did you do it yourself?

Dave
'97 Dakota Sport CC V8/5-spd 4x4
K&N FIPK clone
Gibson dual cat-back
http://members.xoom.com/tnadoman

>Jim Miller writes;
>I am still not satisfied with the way my new truck runs. It is a 98
reg cab swb 5.2L auto, 3.92 sg Mopar headers but stock exhaust behind
it with 400 miles on it. Today I put the Mopar FABM on it and tried a
couple of 0-60 runs. I was quite
>dissapointed. The truck actually seems to loose power with the FABM on
it compaired to the factory air cleaner and filter with a fresh air duct
opening beside the radiator in the grille area. Here are the results.
>With FABM 0-60 first try 9.98 seconds no power braking. second try
10.03 seconds.
>With stock air cleaner and filter with fresh air duct 7.99 seconds and
8.01 seconds.
>Outside air temp 102 degrees and 39% humidity and 600 feet above sea
level elevation.
>There is minimal wheel spin with stock air cleaner and no wheel spin
with FABM.
>Also with fabm the engine almost quits pulling totally about 4800 rpm,
with stock filter it quits about 5k.
>I seem to loose a lot of torque with the open filter and gain no top
end either.
>Could my problem be putting headers on with the stock exhaust is a very
bad combination?
>I am waiting for a catback system I ordered but the dealer installed
the headers when I bought the truck. Am I expecting too much from a
318? My 89 Shelby Dak ran better than this truck does.
>That truck would smoke the tires 50 feet but had no high rpm
performance. Of course I know it was only 175 hp but was a little
lighter than the 98. I still believe the 98 should have more hp per
pound. where am I going wrong. Can I put a K&N
>filter in the stock box and help myself. The underhood temp is just
too hot in Texas summer for underhood air input.