revving engine

From: slparker@usdafcu.org
Date: Tue Jun 16 1998 - 23:41:03 EDT

OK, hope I'm doing this right because this is definately new to me. Here goes:
We (my hubby and I) have a '92 Dak. It had 90-something thousand miles on it when we
bought it. Now it has 130-something thousand on it. We've had it for about two years.
After about 1 - 1 1/2 years after we got it, we noticed a problem. When the clutch
was pushed in and your foot was off of the gas pedal, the engine would rev like it
was idling high. I mean, you'd put the clutch in and immediately it sounds like
you're flooring the gas pedal, only your foot is completely off of the pedal. Usually,
but not always, it occurs after driving a little ways, as little as 1 mile. If you let
it sit there for a while, it will calm down a little, but usually not as much as normal.
Well, we brought it to the machanic, he said he changed something like the "throttle
sensor" or something like that. I think it was three words, but I can't remember the
exact term. For a while (3-6 months) it did OK, only idling high every once in a while.
Well, it's started back. Today, I tried something. I just completely let my foot off
of the gas pedal, put it into 5th gear to see how far it would go. Now I had accelerated
up to around 55 mph already. Do you know it drove for about 7 miles going between 45-50
mph on a straight stretch and it dropped to 35-40 mph going up a slight hill and up to
55 mph going down that slight hill. What is the problem with this possessed truck? If
anyone can help me, PLEASE, e-mail me and let me know. Thanks guys!