Re: Sure Grip Diff or Locker

From: woodgate (woodgate@sprynet.com)
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 01:57:35 EDT

#

87 Dakota 4x4 V6 (360V8 soon) 2.90 gears yuk (putting in 3.90)

My truck has the 8-1/4" Rear and the 7-1/4" front. I am currently looking
for
a source for 3.90 gears for them. In addition I am trying to decide if I
will put
in a SURE GRIP differential or a LOCK RIGHT. Half of the year I drive on
snowy and icy roads. In the summer I drive dirt roads on vacation. One drive
train parts web site cautioned against the use of a locker for highway
speeds
on these surfaces. I have driven a truck with a locker before but only
offroad.
It really was great in this instance. Some of the terrain I get into
traversing
logging roads while hunting would really be alot easier with the locker.
As would the deep snow on roads durring blizzards or Ice house dragging on
frozen lakes. Jim's autoparts (www.jimsautoparts.com/drivetrain.htm) has
the
sure grip for the 8-1/4" for $182.95. I have also heard that the clutches in
the sure
sure grip only last 50k miles or less with harder use. This is less
expensive than
the lock right probably less anoying in turns. I am trying to find out what
other diff's
are available for the 8-1/4". Hopefully Powertrax is making a command
locker for it.