Re: Re: Open Element Air Cleaners: The ongoing adventure

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 14:12:04 EDT

Yukon Net wrote:

> In the ongoing adventures of an FABM vs stock air filter, here are my
> latest results. ( running 10" X 2 1/4" paper element ) So raf the
> performance HAS increased but the milage around town just SUCKS!!

  Hmmmm, when I installed mine the mileage sucked for the first couple of
weeks, but then returned to normal or possibly increased a couple of tenths.
(Normal being 17.5-18MPG mixed highway/city, on a '95 5.2.)

  It's very possible that the sucky mileage was due to PCM self-adjustment,
but I think it had a lot more to do with my new desire to mash that pedal
and listen to the new sucking sound. ;)

> Also, I noticed that my AC pump cycles on if the settings are just on
> regular air for the winshield. It doesnt come on if I have the air directed
> to the passangers or feet.

  That's by design. Defroster usually works better with dry air than moist
air. It is possible to disable this 'feature' on at least the pre-'97s,
but you'll have to look at the archives to find the procedure (it involved
tearing apart the mechanical/vacuum climate 'brain' and pulling some sort
of electrical bridge between the A/C clutch and defrost button).

> I dont really like the thought of running the AC
> pump during the winter monts at 40 below.

  The best way to keep an automotive A/C system running well is to run the
compressor for at least 10 minutes at least once per week. That includes
the middle of winter. The compressor, seals and hoses all benefit greatly
from normal oil circulation during operation. Many leaks can be traced to
shrinking seals that probably just dried out due to lack of operation.

  Ron