Re: More underhood temp measurements

From: W . Jack Hilton III (hemi@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 00:10:48 EDT

I got an e-mail from the Ram Air people and they told me that it just won't
fit a '97-'98 Dak . Not only is it 14x3 , but the casing around that 14x3
element is the big problem .

The Airaid is supposed to cost $179 from Evergreen Performance , and I was
going to get one......BUT - I am still waiting to see where they are
routing the thing to suck air from . Even if they stick it in the same
opening as the stock air inlet , it couldn't be half as cool as the
temp/volume of air that would come thru a Ram Air hood .

Now that I know what the hood that East Coast Customs is going to have will
look like , I think I may go that route . The strangest thig though , the
guy on the phone at E.C.C said that they won't have an air box for that
hood ? He didn't sound sure , and they would be stupid if they didn't make
it functional !

Anyway , like I said before , it is supposed to look exactly like the scoop
from the Camaro SS , he even told me that they just cut one off an SS and
they are fitting it to a stock Dak hood mold . He said it should be ready
for shipping in about a month .

At 10:18 PM 6/24/98 +0000, you wrote:
>I moved the sensor on my radio shack temp gauge closer to the
>throttle blades in the throttle body. The sensor (about the size
>of a Tylenol caplet) is actually attached to my s-bolt with
>a wire-tie. The sensor is hanging in the air stream just above
>the top of the throttle body.
>
>Temps outside today in Milwaukee peaked around 90F and
>have dropped to the mid 80s tonight. Driving around, my
>air cleaner temps ranged from 135F to over 150F with the
>A/C on. That means the Dak was sucking in air that was
>heated up to 70 degrees over the ambient air temp.
>
>This can't be good for performance.
>
>I think we may be going the wrong way with the open element
>air cleaners. We need to put more of the Dakota List Engineering
>Dept. effort into sucking cold air from the front end of the truck
>or the cowl.
>
>I recently received the "Ram Air Box" catalog from Air Inlet Systems.
>These setups look good but I'm not sure that I could fit a 14 x 3 air
>cleaner under the hood on my truck. My 12.75" Mopar Performance
>air cleaner hits the firewall in back and bumps the hood in front
>(I noticed some new dents in the underside of the hood tonight).
>
>Has anyone tried the Ram Air Box on a '97/'98 Dakota?
>
>I may have to try the AirRaid system or the FITK.
>
>The M.P. air cleaner looks great on my truck but the temp of the air
>going into the throttle body has got to be hurting performance.
>
>Comments, anyone? Does anyone have access to a dyno so
>we could test the open element against AirRaid or FITK?
>We'd have to include the temp sensor in the tests to monitor
>air temps.
>
>What about 1/4 mile times? Does anyone have any numbers
>to support or disprove the open element air cleaner?
>
>Has anyone else purchase the "Auto/RV" thermometer
>from Radio Shack (it's only $15)?
>
>-Scott "sweltering in Milwaukee" Vieth
>p.s. I don't want to hear any guff from you folks
>in Arizona. It's hotter here when it's 90F than
>when it's 109 in Arizona.

W . Jack Hilton III

HEMI@mindspring.com