GVWR help

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Tue Jun 30 1998 - 06:45:56 EDT

I don't know an easy way to get the empty weight of your truck, but I have some
suggestions. Some states (NY) base the registration cost on the weight of the
vehicle. The weight is on your registration card. Another way is to go to a
dealer of bulk material like coal, crushed stone, scrap iron etc and drive on
their scale. Up until the big fire our local hardware store had a truck
scale. I used it to weigh my bike with sidecar (820 lbs).

You could also try your local Dodge dealer. He may be able to find the weight
from your VIN. I think they weigh them on the assembly line to have a weight
for the states that need it for registration.

I am no expert here but I believe the gross weight is on a placard in the
glove box or door frame. I think this is by law so the cops can check you on
the spot. I also thing the trailer weight is figured seperatly and is part of
the combined gross weight. The combined weight is effected by engine and rear
gears. It is probably worth going to a dealer, or a place that sels hitches to
talk to an expert as my advise is worth what you payed for it.

Drive Safe,

Joe

>Date: Mon, 29 Jun 98 19:03:07 EDT
>From: elbill0@webtv.net
>Subject: DML: GVWR help
>
>Hi, I am trying to determine what is the max I can load on my dakota.
> I have a 1995 V8 slt longbed. I have a slide-in camper with a dry
>weight of (I'm thinking about) 1400#(seems like when I bought the
>trailer the payload rating minus the camper left only a few hundred
>pounds for gear ), I also recently bought a sea-doo on trailer, weight
>approx 1000#, I'm trying to figure out if I can have them both loaded or
>not. I consulted the owners manual (well they gave me a 1994 book), but
>that offered little help.
> okay so the GVWR is stamped on the sticker in the door but why not
>include the truck's curb weight ?
> does anyone on the list have access to the figures I need ? also I'm
>assuming the weight being towed must be included in the total weight
>
> thank you
>
>(insert snappy signature line here)
>

>http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/4664

Joe Dille