Re: More underhood temp measurements

From: Garth Turner (garth_turner@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 30 1998 - 12:34:46 EDT

Scott wrote:
>>I moved the sensor on my radio shack temp gauge closer to the
throttle blades in the throttle body. The sensor (about the size
of a Tylenol caplet) is actually attached to my s-bolt with
a wire-tie.

Temps outside today in Milwaukee peaked around 90F and
have dropped to the mid 80s tonight. Driving around, my
air cleaner temps ranged from 135F to over 150F with the
A/C on. That means the Dak was sucking in air that was
heated up to 70 degrees over the ambient air temp.<<

Scott,
I finished my temp test with the Auto/RV thermometer. Here are the
results on my 97 V6 auto warmed up to normal temps.

Mods effecting airflow: narrow billet grill, rubber splash shield left
closed on to the right of the radiator, and all factory air box plumbing
removed and left open.. Functional Proglass ram air with sealed air box
to FIPK:

Ambient temp: 65.1F

Location Speed(mph) Temp(F)

inside filter 20 73.5(+8.4)
" " 30 72.5(+7.4)
" " 70 67.6(+2.5)

at factory 20 ----
opening in 30 71.7(+6.6)
fender 70 67.5(+2.4)

5" under 20 84.8(+19.7)
 hood 30 79.2(+14.1)
                        70 70.2(+5.1)

Possible conclusions:

1)Factory air location is great for temperature, but becomes a question
of mass air flow. Duh.

2)Underhood temps lower rapidly at fairly low vehicle speeds. At 30 mph
only 7.5 F (11.5%) hotter than stock air entry hole. This would be a
loss of between 4-5 hp on 225-250 hp V8 (if mass air flow were equal).

3)At freeway speed an underhood Open Air element receives almost the
coolest air available (1.2-1.3 hp loss due to temp - if mass air flow
were equal).

Hope this adds insite. I'm planning on testing for pressure at these
areas and cowl next.

Garth