Cold air intake

From: Bob DeChance (kbshadow@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 17:43:16 EDT

I got one of the Radio Shack thermometers and installed it in the air box
just above the K&N filter on my 98 Slt+ V8 stock filter system.

On the first run it was 75 outside and the air in the air box was 123.

The hardware store plastic pipe section had a fitting make of the same
material as the stock airbox that was 2" by 3" on one end and round on the
other end and is about 6" long they also had corragated plastic pipe that
fit in the round end again the same material as the stock air box.

I cut the rubber on the side of the radiator to fit the square end and put
the fitting in the cutout, all you see is what looks like a factory intake
behind the grill, and took the corrigated pipe from the other end and ran it
about a foot to an opening I cut in the air box just above the factory
existing snorkel, I left all stock air intake parts in place just added the
new intake to the airbox.The cold air is mixed with the stockair in the
airbox..

Because the material is the same as the stock material it looks factory.

When I finished it was 70 outside and I made a run with the new intake
closed the temp was 115 degrees in the airbox, I opened the new intake and
made the same run and the hottest it got was 81 degrees 35 degrees cooler
and only 11 degrees above the ambient temp.

Total cost 5 bucks, I have not tried it on the freeway yet but because of
the ram affect it should be the same.

Its hard to discribe things like this with out using your hands but I did my
best.

Bob DeChance
Stockton Ca