Re: Headers for 98 RT

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 17:48:20 EDT

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, W. Jack Hilton III wrote:

> Now obviously it doesn't just bolt in , but in MY opinion (not considering
> the costs) it would be easier to drop in the V10 .
>
> Now you gotta think about passing emmisions as well .
>
> I would think that all of the mounts would hafta be custom made .

   Well, actually (IMHO of course), the 380 crate motor would be a
lot easier. The V10 requires a lot of work to get it into the Dak.
There's definitely some cutting and fabricating involved. With the
crate motor, you just drop it in (same motor mounts), throw a carb
on the top, and fire 'er up! (If you want fuel injection, it gets a
little more difficult.) :-)

> Probably the best thing to do is to find a totalled Viper and just yank
> everything out of it (engine,tranny,rear,engine controls and harness).
>
> Now Idon't know about anyone else , but I haven't seen anyone make a V10
> Dak yet . If ya give it some time , I'll be that someone , somewhere will
> do it though .

   Yep, its been done. :-) I got some email a short time ago from a guy
who put a V10 from a Ram in his '92 Dak. I invited him to join the list,
and he said he would, but I haven't seen any posts from him yet. From
what he told me, the install wasn't exactly a bolt-in. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |