Re: Shift Kit, group purchase??

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Mon Jul 20 1998 - 18:13:43 EDT

Russ, If this is a shift kit Q then heres an answer:
Shift kits for the 727904 transmissions do a few things. One, they increase
hydraulic pressure inside the transmission to reduce slippage and "speed
things up". Two: they eliminate things that slow or soften shifts (up to a
point) to again reduce slippage, heat and "slowness" Three: They move the
shift points in auto mode up a little higher for more performance oriented
usage. IE: they de-mush the shifts and on the 518 lit that goes all the way
up to 4th gear (turbo action article in HPM)!
Some kits have stages that will allow the owner/installer to pick and choose
just how sharp a shift or how high a pressure. The same seems basically
true for the 518 trans and its associated shift kits.
My dealer's service manager is somewhat performance oriented, and reccomends
a shift kit to avoid excess heat and increase trans life.
 FYI, R/Ts with the heavy dooty cooling package have a trans cooler mounted
(nicely but invisibly) between the A/C condenser and the radiator.
 My dealer guy strongly reccomends installing a trans cooler on non-factory
equipped autos to avoid the dreaded "transmission pile" behind most dealer's
service bays...
A kit that you install should run around 50.00-60.00 retail, who knows as
far a group purchase goes. I do not know if turbo action (or anybody else)
offers a modified valve body (eases install work). Ill be diggin into this
this week!
Bruce K Bridges