Re: WANTING TO KNOW ABOUT SUPERCHARGERS AND NEW CHIPS

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 10:13:23 EDT

<< I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't think it would be possible
 to have both ram-air and a supercharger. Doesn't a supercharger replace
 the air intake completely? I suppose you could have a "ram air" to
 the intake of the supercharger, but I don't think a ram-air effect it would
 change the boost level at all. (Though the cold air might help; with a
 supercharger, you need all the cold air you can get!) :-)

The Supercharger's on our trucks use a pressurized hat that fits over the TB.
The air filter is usually located right next to the Supercharger (atleast in
the Vortech kits) which isn't the greatest location.... I removed the rubber
flap on the left side of my radiator and am going to use another 90 deg 3"
bend and a longer air inlet tube so I can run a bigger K&N, and it'll be
closer to where that flap used to be ..

You need to be careful what material you use when fabricating your air intake
on a blower. If you don't use that thick plastic stuff, the more flimsy
material will actually suck shut under boost..... a good example was a friend
who ran a Vortech on his Mustang, and fabricated a custom air intake so that
he could still use the FIPK that ran down in his fender...... at about 5000
rpm it would almost suck completely shut, and he'd lose all his power ..

ttyl
patrick