Re: Ram Air Box

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 21:34:27 EDT

Bruce,

Your plan sounds great. Scientific and well thought out. I want to know how
you make out. Look in the air filter box where the air inlet enters the
housing. This tube sticks in 3-5". It looks to me like some sort of tuning
to reduce noise. Perhaps it promotes a flat spot. What does your buddy
think?

I was thinking of doing pressure and temperature measurements on my rig
too. Alas, I have not gotten to it. Happy fiddling.

Drive Safe,

Joe

>Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:54:30 -0700
>From: Bruce Bridges <bbridges@alarismed.com>
>Subject: Re: DML: Ram Air Box
>
>dml/jack,
>Im not sure what the ram air box looks like, but I do like the fit of the
>stock set up. to that end, my fluids buddy and I did some lookin under the
>hood of the 98 R/T lastnight to see what we could do to improve it. In HIS
>Honorable opinion we formulated the following plan:
>1. Create a new hold down for the air hat. CC must have been thinking low
>rpm when they designed that horrendous *&*^ that blocks 20% of the venturi.
>The S bolt is a great idea (Sean and all are right on the money)!
>2. Make a new air horn for the stock box that exits behind the grill through
>the rubber panel. Use generous radiusing on the inlet and make the bell as
>big as possible. Save the old tube for locust plagues and heavy rain.
>3. Find a smooth bore tube for the box to hat connection. High temp
>silicone would be great due to flexibility, although it may need a braid for
>strength.
>4. Replace the hat supports with bicycle spokes to reduce flow perturbation.
>5. Trim/port match the TB to manifold gasket to eliminate the 1/16 ledge
>that the poor factory fit makes.
>
>HPM (high performance mopar) ran the R/T with and without the air cleaner
>(sept 98) and didnt get a change in ET. This seems to say to me HOT AIR/TB
>restrictions. Im going after those first in "The Quest". My bud said hed
>rig my air box assy with pressure transducers to find the delta P profile
>(buisiness expense...) but he thinks his eyeball is almost as good. He
>didnt mind the airbox config but thought the air cleaner element could use
>some mods too! Hes kinda busy so Im going after the above list first and
>we'll do the measurements when hes got time (or when his boat breaks and I
>need to help fix it).
>One mans plan,
>Bruce K Bridges

Joe Dille