Re: DML:Oil change frequency was:More Comment on K&N Filters

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 12:36:12 EDT

DML,
To pre-defend myself, I change my oil per the Bschedule (3000miles) but...
My dads new 65 barracuda (273 v8) had its oil changed religiously every
120000 miles with 30 weight single viscosity. The car gave flawless service
for 275,000 miles before the transmission gave it up. The oil consumption @
275,000 miles was about 1 quart every 3000 miles. Newer engines have
tighter tolerances and possibly (unfortunatley) less costly materials,
but... I thought oil filters only filter a portion of the oil on every pass
and bypass the majority and do nothing to filter out the acids caused by
breakdown of combustion process. With loose tolerances in the OLD 273, I
would expect more combustion by products in the oil than newer engines with
tight tolerances. given equivalent filtration, in my mind things are not
adding up... Im not saying dont change your oil (Better safe than sorry)
but personal experience says somethings not quite right.
Bruce