PROBLEM; Tranny

From: GARTH HOARD (jghoard@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 21:37:54 EDT

Hi all.

I found this site the other day and enjoyed reading the archives but
found no mention of the problem I'm having with my truck.

 '93 LE/ Ext.Cab 4x4/ 318 auto. (use in oil patch but pull stumps on
weekends for fun. :) )

The PROBLEM: With the trans. in park, with any tension on it at
all(e.g. if truck just rolls up against the lock pawl),
              When you shift into any gear, mostly the gear going in
the direction it rolled, the lock pawl will not release
until you take the shift lever across neutral to the
opposite gear. Will usually clang as pawl releases
under tension from being in gear and park @ the same
time.

The FIXES: 1. Changed annulus gear. got better for 2 wks then
gradually back to same.

            2. Did this again with same results
.
            3. Did this again along with pawl, spring, and complete
rebuild of tranny except for valve body. (This was
very nice of them at my local dealership as the
vehicle was, by then, out of warranty.) seemed to fix
this problem but over the course of a month, it came
back again.

            4. The last and only fix that has worked for any length
of time is to religiously use the park brake (so that
the truck does not move at all. Makes me wonder why
they even put -P- on the shift indicator in this
truck.

Now, I like my truck. not a rattle in it at 107k+, great A/C, nice radio
(diff spkrs), runs great but if anyone here has an idea of what would
fix this, except changing trans or cases, drop me a line. I've been
using brake now for probably 50k miles now.

thanks in advance for help or comments.

                    Garth Hoard