Re: oil color

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 23:48:06 EDT

> BTW, once had an automotive engineer tell me that the oil filter is the
> most
> > unnecessary part on a modern combustion engine....that most engines would
> > run as well and last as long without one.
> Cars never came with oil filters until the late 50's! So they did OK for
> about 50 years without one.

That ain't true. I used to drive Ferds. I owned a 49, 55, 56, 59 63, 65, 68,
70, 74,76, 77, 80, 87, 88, then a 89 Shelby dak, then a 91 GMC Syclone and now a
98 Dak. All these veichles had FACTORY oil filters. I do know GM didn't use
them on old 6 banger Chevys though. Also oil changes were recommended at 1,000
miles or 90 days on old Chevys also.