Re: PROBLEM; Tranny

From: GARTH HOARD (jghoard@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 25 1998 - 15:21:48 EDT

Chris

I kind of believe that anyone that uses their Dak off road for any
length of time will get that little mechanism dusty/gritty under the
inst cluster. When that happens the little spring that moves the
indicator just isn't strong enough to overcome the extra friction of the
dust. There is an adjustment for that tho.
  If you take the bottom cover off of the steering column then you will
find a sm cable with a ferrule hooked into the collar that moves with
the shift lever. Apply park brake and move shifter to -L-. Pull the
cable with ferrule out of the little hook on the collar and let it snap
back to right. It may take several snaps to get it far enough right to
indicate properly. Rehook cable to collar and run gearshift back to
-P-. That is probably as good as it gets.
  Good luck, Chris

Garth Hoard