1999 Dakota info...the real deal

From: Steve French (dakota_rt@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 17:05:34 EDT

1999 Dodge Dakota
Product Information
Release
1999 Feature Highlights
Market Position
Demographic Material
Product Chronology
Feature Availablilty
Specifications
Power, Style, Capability: 1999 Dodge Dakota Has It All
Its combination of power, capability, roominess and style has made Dodge
Dakota the most logical choice for more and more compact pickup buyers
each year. In 1998, Dodge made a statement with the Dakota R/T, a
performance-tuned 250 horsepower street machine. The 1999 model year
promises greater availability the Dakota R/T and -- as always -- the
widest variety of best-in-class features that make Dakota a truly unique
entry in the compact class.
"As we have done with all of our trucks, we start with a great idea and
then expand to provide greater choice for our customers," said Dodge
General Manager Jim Julow. "The formula we used for Ram was tailored to
fit Dakota. We began in 1997 with a redesigned version that provided
more power, capability and interior room than all other compact pickups.
In 1998, we added a performance version with the R/T. For 1999, we offer
even more choices and greater availability."

Performance continues to be the category that sets Dakota apart from its
compact competitors. The only compact pickup with a V-8 engine now has
two Magnum V-8 choices for the full model year, the 230 horsepower,
5.2-liter version and the 250 horsepower, 5.9-liter option available
only on the R/T. The most popular Dakota engine is the 3.9-liter Magnum
V-6, which delivers 175 horsepower and 225 lb. ft. of torque. To meet
the growing list of entry-level compact pickup buyers, Dodge will
continue to offer the most powerful four-cylinder engine in the class,
the 120 horsepower, 2.5-liter Magnum I-4.

"The engine options range from strong entry-level performance with the
four-cylinder up to pavement rippling performance with the Magnum
5.9-liter in the R/T," Julow said. "Our strategy is to offer a Dakota
that meets everyone's unique driving needs, whether it's straight-line
performance or towing and hauling. By providing four engine choices, we
provide much wider buyer appeal."

Dakota not only leads in performance, but in capability and room. Its
6,700-lb. maximum towing capacity and 2,000-lb. maximum payload far
exceed any other compact pickup, while rivaling some full-size pickups.
The larger cab in both the regular and club cab versions provides more
driver comfort, better passenger-carrying capability and additional
secure storage for everything from golf clubs to tools.

While this kind of capability in other vehicles might come at a
sacrifice in maneuverability and handling, such is not the case with
Dakota. Its solid frame structure, optimum steering and suspension
geometry, plus larger wheels and tires allow the chassis to respond to
tuning and makes Dakota best-in-class in ride-and-handling.

"It's Dakota's nimble ride and handling that gives it a personality to
go along with its work ethic," Julow said. "Our engineers spent an
inordinate amount of time making sure the customer that never works his
or her Dakota gets as much enjoyment out of it as those who use it
specifically for towing and hauling."

For 1999, Dakota has several new standard or optional enhancements,
including a new 15"x7" base steel wheel, replacing the 15"x6" base
wheel, two levels of overhead consoles, an optional express-down
driver's-side window and optional steering wheel-mounted radio controls.

Rubber-Burning Power From The R/T

All of Dakota's performance and handling attributes are pushed to the
extreme with the Dakota R/T, the only true compact sport truck in the
industry. The R/T begins with a 250 horsepower, 345 lb.-ft. of torque,
5.9-liter Magnum V-8 engine. This is further enhanced with a
performance-tuned dual inlet stainless steel exhaust system. It sports
front and rear stabilizer bars to control handling, with the rear bar
beefed up to 21 millimeters to minimize body roll during cornering. In
addition, a limited-slip differential improves traction and helps gain a
quicker start.

The Dakota R/T's oversized 17-inch wheels and tires give this sport
truck an even more solid footprint, which improves handling. The
suspension is lowered by one inch to provide a sleeker look and feel. In
true sport truck fashion, Dakota R/T is only offered in two-wheel drive
configuration.

Approximately 2,000 Dakota R/Ts were produced in the 1998 model year.
Production will be increased to about 5,000 units for 1999.

"We're really pleased to be able to produce a vehicle like the Dakota
R/T," Julow said. "It's not only a great vehicle for the sport truck
customer who, in the past, has been forced to highly modify their
compact pickup, but it's a fun product for the people who designed and
built it. That's what this Company is all about."

TOP

1999 feature highlights
Payload Availability Revised

NV1500 5-Speed Manual Transmission Used w/2.5-Liter I-4 Engine

Upgraded 4x4 Steering Gear (Rack and Pinion)

P255/55 R17 Eagle LS Tire For R/T Sport Group

New Tire On The 4x2 Tire & Handling Package (P255/65R15)

Upgraded Brake System

Vacuum-Fluorescent Odometer/Trip Odometer

Rotary Head Lamp Switch

Improved Remote Keyless Entry System w/New Transmitters & Driver
Programmable Features

Driver One-Touch Open Feature For Power Windows

Steering Wheel Radio Switches Optional

Redesigned Overhead Console Exterior - Full-Feature & New Base Version

Cab Back Panel Air Exhausters (Regular Cab Only)

Removable Cassette/CD Storage Tray In Optional Floor Console

Dash Silencer Pad To Improve NVH Control

Next-Generation Driver & Passenger Air Bags (Running Change 1998)*

Passenger Air Bag Cutoff Switch (Running Change 1998)**

"JTEC+" PCM (Power train Control Module) For Added On-Board Diagnostic
Capability

2.5-Liter Engine Meets TLEV (Transitional Low Emission Vehicle)
Requirements in CA, MA, NY & NE Trading Region States

* Certified to federal regulations that allow less forceful air bags.
Always use seat belts. Remember, a back seat is the safest place for
children

**Important, always remove key and replace cover

NOTE: The information shown is preliminary and based on data available
at the time of publication

TOP

market position
The stylish, fun-to-drive Dodge Dakota provides more comfort, room,
power and capability than the other compact pickups. It's a little
bigger, and a lot better.

market advantages
The 1998 Dakota offers consumers more than other compacts with its bold
design, unique size, outstanding capabilities and Magnum power. Dakota
is sized right for versatile use, and its "real truck" underpinnings
give the customer capabilities to do almost anything. Added to its
reputation as the roomiest and most powerful compact pickup are standout
appearance, increased comfort, greater safety, thoughtful features both
inside and out, and the best ride and handling in the class.

In the Spring of 1998, Dodge introduced the Dakota R/T, which combines a
5.9-liter Magnum V-8 engine, a performance-tuned exhaust and a
road-hugging wheel and tire package to make a convincing sport truck
statement.

TOP

demographic material
 Target Buyer Profile Current Buyer Profile
Age: 30-48 40-49
Annual Household
Income:
$38,000-$55,000
$45,000-$58,000
Female/Male Buyers: 15%/85% 14%/86%

 1997 Model Year
Total U.S. Vehicle Market: 15,376,935
Total U.S. Small Pickup Segment: 977,713
Dodge Dakota Sales: 125,236
Percentage of Total U.S. Market: 6.4%
Percentage of Small Pickup Segment: 12.8%

TOP

product chronology
1998 Model Year
R/T Sport Group w/5.9-liter Magnum V-8 engine (250 hp and 345 lb.-ft.
torque) (Spring 1998 Introduction)

1997 Model Year
All-new body & chassis introduced

Passenger air bag

1994 Model Year
Driver air bag

1993 Model Year
Four-wheel anti-lock brakes available

1991 Model Year
Club Cab available w/four-wheel drive

1990 Model Year
Club Cab body introduced (Two-wheel drive & 6.5-foot box only)

1987 Model Year
Four-wheel drive model initial introduction

1986 Model Year
Rear-wheel drive model initial introduction spring 1986 as 1987 model

NOTE: The information shown is preliminary and based on data available
at the time of publication

TOP

club cab model availability & payload selector
 Transmission/Axle Ratio
(a, b)
Decor Group

Payload, Lbs.
Engine 5-Speed
Manual 4-Speed
Automatic
Base
Sport
Plus
SLT SLT
Plus
2WD w/6.5-Foot Box
1275 2.5L I-4 3.92 * * - - -
 5.9L V-8 3.92 - O (c) - - -
1450 3.9L V-6 3.21* (d) 3.55* O O - O O
  3.55 3.92
 5.2L V-8 3.55 3.55* O O O O O
  3.92 3.92
2000 (e) 3.9L V-6 3.55* 3.92* - O - O O
 5.2L V-8 3.55* 3.55* - O O O O
  3.92 3.92
4WD w/6.5-Foot Box
1450 3.9L V-6 3.55* 3.92* * O - O O
  3.92
 5.2L V-8 3.55 3.55* O O - O O
  3.92 3.92
1800 (f) 3.9L V-6 3.55* 3.92* O - - O O
  3.92
 5.2L V-8 3.55* 3.55* O - - O O
  3.92 3.92

* Denotes standard ratio

(a) Manual transmission is standard where available

(b) Anti-spin differential optional except where noted

(c) Must have R/T Sport Group

(d)) Anti-spin differential not available

(e) Includes 10 x 2.5-Inch rear brakes & P235/75R15XL on/off-road tires

(f) Includes 9 x 2.5-inch rear