Re: Quarter Mile times (I'm terrible)

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 08:05:44 EDT

>I ran a 15.33. But get this, my RT was 1.2!!!!!!
>It looks so slow from the stands, but I got up there, did a burn out,
>staged, the next thing I know I'm staring at a green light. I figure w/
>a perfect RT, thats an ET of mid- 14's.

Robert,

Sorry, man, but even with a .500 light, you would STILL have turned a
15.33. Your reaction time is the time the vehicle takes after the light
turns green until the timing lights are tripped. You kind of have to
anticipate this a little, because even if you start to press the
accelerator EXACTLY as the light turns green, the car will not begin to
move until the engine has increased its RPM enough to load the suspension
and get the tires rolling. The guy in the Dart you ran was actually
hitting the pedal as the last yellow light was going out.

Your ET doesn't start getting timed until you trip the timing lights.
You can sit there for an hour, and then go, your time would still have
been 15.33, with a 3600 second RT :-)

>Considering I was afraid of
>spinning my tires down the strip, and didn't even give it full gas for a
>few seconds ( or was it milliseconds....who knows). Either way, I was
>happy w/ what my times say about my potential performance. A daily-
>driver w/ a nice sound system running mid 14's. Life is good.

Tuning your launch is where you will net better times. You may even be
able to get into the 14s just with that. 15.33 is STILL a great time,
from what I have seen posted here lately.

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T