Re: Sticking Parking Brake

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 16:10:00 EDT

At , you wrote:
>Rob:
>
> This seems a little strange. I'm assuming you're meaning "Emergency
Brake"
>by 'E-brake'. (If you mean "Electric Brake": I'm really confused becuase
>that's for trailers and should have nothing to do with the truck itself.)
> You really should only set the "Emergency" or "Parking" brake when on a
>hill or if the truck is in neutral, etc. Brakes heat up by their very nature
>and when you apply the parking brake it puts pressure on the drums. As the
>brake cools it can take the drums slightly out of round. Do this enough in
>the same spot on the drums and you can see some degradation of brake
>preformance or even "Chattering". Also, frequent application of the brake
>stretches the cable and will force you to adjust it occasionally.
> Drum brakes are more susceptible to this than disc brakes, and foot set
>brakes are also more susceptible as you can usually apply more pressure with
>your foot than your hand. I just avoid setting cable brakes unless the
>situation really calls for it.
> As far as your problem goes, I'd try a pad change to semi-metallic or
>carbon fiber (make the dealership do this). It could just be poorly
>manufactured pads that are getting a bit sticky when hot. Or you could have
>something in the brake mechanism itself that is sticking when hot, metal to
>metal, a seal on the cylinder or something like that. Since it's still under
>warranty, I'd be handing it over to the dealer and saying "fix it or I get a
>new truck" which (in California) is the law. If you have taken the truck
in 3
>times for the same problem, you can have it "lemoned" and make Chrysler
>replace the truck. The onus here is on the dealer and the manufacturer, not
>you. Go get 'em.
>
>Shaun H.
>Tustin, CA

Hi Shaun:

Thanks for the suggestions. I also think it has something to do with the
expansion of the brake shoes and
drums or sticky shoes. I park on an incline so I always use the parking
(Emergency) brake. I've had Dodges since the 60's and never had this
problem. Maybe it is cheap shoes and/or drums. On the first brake job for
my Sundance, everything had to go in the garbage including disks and drums
which were too light to be turned.
My 1978 3/4 ton is still on the road and still has the factory disks and
drums.

I'm on good terms with the dealer and they are eager to fix it ... just
can't figure out what the problem is, and of course, I can't reproduce it
in front of them.

Service rep. will be calling the tech boys at Chrysler Canada today, maybe
they know what the fix is. If not I will get after them to replace the
shoes as you have suggested.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.