Re: Tire Sizes -Reply -Reply

From: Stephan Boianoff (sboianoff@mdc.com)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 12:23:01 EDT

All I have to look at is my '98, so I can't make you any promises. As far
as not being able to fit 16's or 17's, I'm not sure I understand. The whole
idea behind using a larger rim (diameter) and lower profile tires is so that
you do not change the overall diameter of your wheel/tire combo (and
you won't need to worry about your speedo being off if the right combo
is used) with respect to the stock setup. The problem is making sure that
you have the clearance to fit a wider rim & tire. And even with this, you
can get by with a certain amount of "fudging" by choosing the correct
backspacing (or offset). I know you don't want 2" of tire sticking out
past your fenders, but a little is probably not a huge deal. Most big
mail-order wheel/tire distributors (Dealer's comes to mind) should be able
to tell you what will fit if you are not sure of your measurements. As
you're measuring, just remember that your front wheels need to go
lock-to-lock without any interference. The back is pretty
straightforward. Good luck.

Steve

>>> Robert Trottmann <rotrottmann@davidson.edu> 09/03/98 09:33am

I didn't think I could fit 16s or 17s. It's lowered 2" in the rear, but thats
it. Do you think I can go w/ 16s? They're not much more expensive, and
I'd
rather have them. Basically, what I want is new wheels that look good,
and
wider tires for traction. Think I could fit 16x8s w/ about a 245 tire on
them?
Hmmmm, so much to figure out.
Later, thanks for the info.
Robert