Scan Tools

From: May, Tim (tmay@abercrombiekent.com)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 09:37:28 EDT

I friend of mine sent me this email when I asked him some info on scan
tools for our Dakota. He owns a 98 JEEP GC 5.9L.
Tim

You need something that works with OBDII. I just purchased a PC based
scan
tool product, which includes a special hardware adapter and software
that
runs on a PC. It is called CarComp, and you can get more info at
<http://www.carcomp.com/>. It costs $249 for the Chrysler or GM-only
versions, and $349 for a GM/Chrysler combo unit. They are still working
on
Phord. <g> I called and spoke with the actual developer, a very nice guy
(unfortunately didn't get his name). I ordered the combo unit a few days
ago, I should have it at the end of this week or early next week.

I borrowed a friends MasterTech (by Vetronix, the same people who make
the
GM Tech I) scan tool last night to debug the downstream O2 simulator
from
Caspers. I was getting a code and thought I might have to put the cat
back
on, but I figured out the problem was the pinout of the sim wasn't
adapted
to the Chrysler version properly. The MasterTech is an awesome tool, but
it
is several thousand dollars. The CarComp product will do everything I
needed the MasterTech for, which is to retrieve OBDII codes, read
standard
scan data, and erase codes. Scott.

Tim May
tmay@abercrombiekent.com