Re: More Police Tactics--Non-Dak, but funny

From: Klaus Wilkens (klaus@buffnet.net)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 21:09:26 EDT

A couple of nights ago on TV, I think American Journal, they showed the
Washington State cops chasing a real ratty looking old Furd van.
Apparently the chase went quite some distance as they showed a map and
where the van was chased.

Anyway It caught my attention to see multiple cop cars being out run by
this really nasty looking van. I thought why don't the cops block the
road ? Next thing I know the announcer is saying "and the police blocked
the entrance to the freeway" Too bad the cop wasn't bright enough to
block the entrance BEFORE the freeway, he left enough room for the van
to easily drive around him.

This was getting pretty entertaining and when they started talking about
the secret, sophisticated police manuever that wold hit the van in the
rear and spin him out, I knew I was in for a treat! The announcer is
saying how difficult this move is and I'm thinking "Hasn't this Bozo
ever heard of Dale Earnhardt ? Actually there wasn't a cop car close
enough to do the old spin 'em out trick. But...the van makes a real hard
right to exit the freeway using an on ramp. When the van is at the apex
of the corner I see the hood of a mighty Crown Vic appear. Right away I
knew 2 things. 1. this was some cops attempt at NASCAR style driving and
2. He didn't have clue as to what he was doing.

You guessed it, the cop missed the van, hit the portable concrete
retainer, went airborn and landed with the middle of the cop car on the
reatainer.

FWIW they eventually caught the van when it drove down the
shoulder/sidewalk and hit a concrete flower bed retainer.

Better than the Keystone Cops !