RE: Smog and Mopar Cams -Reply -Reply

From: Michael Z-Sykes (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 06 1998 - 22:10:13 EDT

hhhmmmm.... good question! I know the stock cat and manifold flow like
an uphill stream, and the exhaust struggles as well. I got my exhaust
souped up, and the headers helped a lot. I think a cam would wake this
bad boy up A WHOLE LOT, as well as some head work and a TB. Big
$$$, but may be well worth it to get V8 Performance out of a V6, ya'
know? I might have to get my valvetrain rebuilt, and if such is the case,
then the cam and headwork will most likely be a reality. I may just go out
o the limb and do the cam, If they reject me, I'll just go somewhere that
Doesn't do the smog, or just run with the expired inspection untill I sell it.
Who knows... I'm also tired of it falling on it's face at WOT. Thinkin' a TB
might help that. I'll keep the list posted =)

-mike d.

>>> Mark Bate <kd6rmi@k6.net> 09/03/98 10:54pm >>>
Mike,

I guess I am a tree-hugger at heart. At every smog check the emissions
from my V6 are so far below the California limits that they are off the
bottom end of the scale. I have paid my green dues and I assume that
reasonable mods can be made to the engine will keep the V6 below the
limits here in California.

My problem is that three quarters of the gas pedal travel seems to be
wasted, always has. I guess the spark advance dies too quickly. I'm
looking for any mods that would get my Dak to perform half as well as
my wife's car that gets the same gas mileage. If all that fuel is not being
converted to horsepower or smoke out the rear end I wonder where it is
going? Perhaps global warming?

Michael Z-Sykes wrote:
>Has anyone tested any cams for smogability?<<<<<<
>
>I too have wondered about this and have gotten the same amount of
>answers you have... NONE! My Dealer tells me it will void any emissions
>warrantees, but all the people who have them say they are VERY
>satisfied. I WANT A CAM DAMMIT!!! I live in Va and some parts of the
>state will be implementing emissions crap here soon, and I don't wanna
>get the big X after spending 400+ on a Cam and installation. I wanna'
>make sure my chickens are hatched before I count em' =)... I have
called
>Mopar Performance, Magnum Performance, various Speed Shops, and
>some local Garage Monkeys that build motors. No one has been able to
>tell me much of anything. I'm gonna' call Jegs and Summit and Crane and
>other major cam builders to see what they think. I'll let you know what I
>come up with =)
>
>-mike d.
>88V6

>Hi,
>
> and have suffered through enough poor performance. I would like to
put
>a Mopar cam in it however I also have a bi-annual smog kit here in
>California. >
>Mark Bate
>KD6RMI@K6.net
>+1.510.429-9100
>Think different... Beware of geeks bearing gifts.
>W 116.33 Euro/M 117.??

I hope this helps.