Re: Beat by Chevy! Help!

From: DkotaKid@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 07 1998 - 18:28:48 EDT

bowermdw@mailhost.ind.ameritech.net writes:

> Hey all,
> This weekend I raced this guy from back home. He has a bone stock 96
> Chevy 1500.
> I have a truck with tons of mods. This guy is 18 and likes to race
> people. Everybody said I should race him. So here we are side by side
> until 70 MPH. Then like a fighter pilot that hit the afterburners, he
> just blew by like he flipped a switch. I'm talking like instant burst
> of speed. Whats up people????
> I have a lighter, smaller, and modded truck. What's up with the stock
> chevy gettin all this power and speed at 70 and blowing me away?

With all the candy on your truck, you should have taken him apart all the way
down the strip. I just raced a (guessing) 96 V8 stepside with dual exhaust,
and although he got a bit of a jump on me at the light (all that torque is
good for something!) I revved it up to peak and kept it there for 3 gears,
caught him and led him all the way to 80+ at which point I backed off for fear
of tarnishing my now point-free license. By then, I had him by a MINIMUM of
two carlengths. Oh yeah, did I mention this was in my 150hp, 132lb-ft 2.0L
Neon R/T???? There's no way that truck was bone-stock and kicked your behind
at 70. My screwy logic says that since my V8 Dak is faster than my Neon, and
my Neon is apparently faster than the Chebbie, your Dak has GOT to be faster'n
the Bowtie. Plus that whole "burst of speed" deal at 70 sounds suspicious.
Of course, if YOU were having some kind of problem, well maybe....

Just my Mopar-powered 2 cents,
Andy