Chad-tubes in tubeless tires

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Mon Sep 07 1998 - 13:30:21 EDT

Chad, it may have the same air in the tire, but the tire was already
built with a tube in it called an innerliner. Tires are designed and
built with only this liner in it, and the tire is designed to run up
to a certain temperature before it cannot take the stress heat puts on
the tire. Heat causes a tire to wear out prematurely, lose grip, and
ultimately fail. Anything that you do to a tire to increase its
temperature can lead to failure. Installing an inner tube generates
additional heat in the tire and you never know what happens next.
  You say you have seen many tires run with tubes. I bet you dont see
as many blown out with tubes as I see in my job everyday. Do what you
want, but I'll never repair the sidewall in any of my tires, and I'll
never tube one either. You can be a cheapscape if you want, or you can
value your life, your family's lives, and your truck, and go out and
buy a new tire.
Patrick