Re: Tire pressure question

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 21:28:25 EDT

>How are you gonna launch quick with rock hard tires sitting there
>going up in smoke??
>
>Yes, this is correct. Fuel cars run less than 10 psi - 0-325 mph in
>less than 5 seconds!

Remember that wrinkle-wall drag racing slicks work differently than
street tires AND street/drag radials. As stated in a previous post, you
want a nice even pattern when you turn the tires over. No light center,
no light edges.

When I race my Impala SS (sorry, but I have MUCH more track time with it
than the R/T right now), I usually run 24-26 lbs in the rear 255/50-17
BFGs and get about the best traction. I remember to air them up BEFORE
leaving the track to their normal 35-40 lbs for street use. In the front
(same size), I run 40-45 lbs for drag racing, and about 42 lbs for
autocrossing. At 24-26 lbs, the tires bite well, and I don't spin them
off the rims. I will start at that range when I take the R/T to the
track.

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T