Re: CB Installation

From: John (kemkerj@xyzzy.net)
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 19:13:07 EDT

As an amateur radio operator who has installed a few rigs in cars, let
me give you some advice:

Whether it's a CB, ham radio, or a stereo, go straight to the battery
with heavy-gauge wire. Put a fuse on the positive leg. On a 5-watt CB,
you can get away with a 5-amp fuse. On a 50-watt ham radio or stereo,
put a 30-amp fuse on it.

By going straight to the battery for the power, you'll avoid the number
one route for alternator whine to get in your audio.

I bought a Rat Shack "Portable Hump Mount" for under $5 to put my ham
radios in the '94 Dak. Put a 5/8 wave on 2 meters whip smack dab in the
middle of the roof. (Yes, I punched a hole.) Next step is to put a
couple of ball-mounts on the aluminum truck box and mount a couple of
Hamsticks (@<$20 each, they're a fantastic deal).

For your 11-meter (CB) rig, you could put a ball-mount setup like I'm
working on with a 12-meter Hamstick cut for CB. Radio Shack carries the
ball-mounts for < $10 each. You can find the Hamsticks at Ham Radio
Outlet (http://www.hamradio.com) or Amateur Electronic Supply
(http://www.aesham.com) mail-order. If you'd rather see them in person,
first, you might try a local hamfest. Let me know where you live and
I'll see if I can find one nearby to point you at.

(BTW: You can get an Amateur Radio license without learning Morse Code
these days. Just learn a little theory and regulations and you can
*legally* go high power and use FM, to boot.)

--John K.
  KF4MZD (see http://www.arrl.org for info on ham radio)
Current:
  '94 Dakota SLT, 5.2L V8 Magnum, Club Cab, Diamond Brite truck box,
  Standard C5900DA on 6m, 2m, and 70cm (50W PEP)

Planned:
  TenTec Scout 555 on 10m and 40m (50W PEP)
  K&N FIPK
  Soft Tonneau

Considering:
  500W Amplifier for Scout?