RE: 4X4 question

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 19:19:35 EDT

     Norah,

     I don't have the professional expertise, but my $.02 is that I would
     wait 'till I've had the chance to shake down the engine and suspension
     components on the paved roads before I took it for anything really
     serious in the high country.

     My reasoning is pretty straightforward... When you've been off road
     like I have, it would be impossible to tell (except for the obvious
     rock in the whatever) if you broke something on the trail or it was a
     manufacturing defect. While they say these modern engines don't need
     a break in period, I just feel more comfortable taking my vehicles off
     road after the first 3k miles. That way I've had a chance to change
     to oil, get a feel for the vehicle and find out if there are any
     obvious problems.

     After I took the time to shake her down, I hit a minor trail and was
     pleasantly surprised with my kotas performance... Be advised this is
     no Jeep, so don't get yourself in too tight a corner!

     T.

     <<Hi guys,

     I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. How many
     kilometers or miles should a new 4X4 have put onto it, before you take
     it through mud, rivers, and over rocks - a heavy duty offroad run?

     Jason doesn't seem to know for sure as his 4X4 was purchased used and
     he already had the mileage racked on. The dealership, doesn't have a
     clue, as these people only own 4X4's as a symbol and never take them
     offroad. What a waste!

     Any ideas?

     Thanks,
     Norah>>