Re: Bleach on Tires

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 15:09:10 EDT

Drag racers used to use bleach for their burnouts till they discovered
that
> plain old water worked just as good. If you're talking about using it to
> create more and better smoke, I don't know about that. Where's that bleach
> my wife uses for the laundry?
>
> --
> Mike Crumley mcrumley@airmail.net

Yes we used to used bleach all the time. On the way to the track you
would stop off and buy a gallon of bleach. But boy did it ever make a
mess. It was a job cleaning up the car after using bleach at the strip,
plus the staging area would be a mess with the bleach. You really had
to watch where you step because you didn't want to track it into the
car.

Finally about '67' NHRA outlaw it and the other sanctioning bodies
followed right behind them. Don't know if they outlaw it because of
safety reasons (something it did to the tires) or because of the god
awful mess it made. Suspect it was the mess it made.

It did help with traction, but remember we didn't have very good tires
back them. Today's street tires are better then the slicks were in the
early 60's .

Bob Nicks
Cary, NC
95 Dakota V-8 CC