re: was 4X4 question, oil flecks

From: Chris Hindy (chindy@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 15:03:27 EDT

>Thanks for all the help guys. It is really appreciated. We haven't had
>this our first oil change yet but then again, it is just over a month old.
>
>I have noticed that the oil is getting dark and I'm planning on taking it in
>next weekend. There is one other thing that surprised me. Maybe one of you
>may know why. My first two ('93 & '95) both had tiny silver flecks in the
>oil after the first month even though the oil was very clean. The '98 has
>dark oil and no silver flecks.
>
>I'm just guessing, but I think the flecks may have been new parts working
>themselves in. But if so, why doesn't the '98 have it? Would there be a
>difference between the V6 and the V8 in this regard? Maybe it will show up
>later, or my oil is too dark to see them.

Hi Norah!

I just did the oil change at about 5300 km on our '98 V6 after we moved
into the new place. I had dark oil and some (but not nearly as much as I
expected) metal particluate. I was expecting a LOT more metal for the
first change and was quite surprised that I got what I would have called an
'average' amount for a __4 banger__. No real reson for this that I can
think of . . . maybe they're just building the engines a lot tighter?
Anyone else have any comment?

cheers
-Chris

98 Dak Club Cab, 3.9L V6, slushy, 3.90 LSD, Intense Blue.
Mods: K&N filter, Bosch Platinums, Sony CD changer.
Next: "Hmmm, Tires? or Wires?"