Re: My 88 is p---in' me off!!!!

From: Walter_Felix (Walter_Felix@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 21:02:53 EDT

Hopefully your Fwa, Fwa Fwa noise isn't as bad as mine. I just found a
burnt valve in my Dakota. I put new heads on the truck last year after
slapping a valve. After that, the truck never really seemed to have the
power it had before. Last week the truck starting running really rough, and
had a bad skip. First I checked the easy stuff. I pulled the plugs and
found one that was really fouled out. The same cylinder that had slapped
the valve last year. I put new plugs in and no improvement. Then I change
Cap, Rotor, wires etc. Finally I did a compression test. Only 10 lbs.. in
that cylinder. I figured that the piston had a hole since I had replaced
the heads 20,000 miles ago. I pulled the head and found the exhaust valve
had a half inch V shaped chip missing from the edge. I pulled the valve out
of the head. First off, it looks like the valve never seated from the
start. It also had a very slight bend. I had the head checked and it looks
like the seat was ground crooked when the head was originally machined.
Hopefully I'll have all the pieces back together this weekend.

Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
88' Dakota Sport 4x4
WWW.GeoCities.Com/MotorCity/Downs/9219